Sunday, June 2, 2013

LOVE Shelf


my finished product


I saw this shelf on Pintrest a while ago and wanted to make it.  As soon as my summer vacation began, I started the shelf.  I came home from college late on a Thursday night and had the shelf together by Saturday night.  On Friday, I drew up various designs based off of pictures of various LOVE shelves that I had seen.  Then, I decided how tall I wished the shelf to be and came up with the other dimensions.  On Friday evening, I went to the wood store to purchase my wood and the hardware store to purchase screws.   On Saturday, my father and I cut the boards and assembled the shelf.  The next day, I had to pack for my vacation to Washington State.  So, the painting of the shelf had to wait until I returned.  Upon my return, I ventured to Walmart to purchase primer and paint.  Two days ago, I applied the primer.   Yesterday, it rained; so, I was unable to apply the paint.  Today, however, I was able to paint it.  I am very pleased with how the shelf turned out!!!!  I can’t wait to put it in my new apartment at school this coming school year!

Materials
Wood: untreated / 2x6 or 2x8 for best results
Wood Screws: 26, 2.5 - 4 in each
Wood glue
Paint: be sure you have both primer and the color you intend to use
** It also helps to have a drill or a good saw that is capable of cutting at angles.**

Process (before you gather materials):
1    1)      Decide how tall you desire to have your shelf. 
      * You need to decide this first so that you know how much wood to purchase.
2    2)      Take a look at the dimensions so that you know how much wood you need to purchase. 
If you choose to use a different height than 5 feet, multiply the height of your choice (in inches) by each of the above percentages to garner the length  of wood needed for your project.

**NOTE**  Due to an error in measurement, the percentage for the bottom of the "L" (shown in this picture as .5) should actually be .4!


These are the lengths that I used for my 5 foot (60 in.) tall shelf.

**NOTE** There is an error in the picture.  The bottom part of the "L" is 24", NOT 30" as the picture specifies.
3    3)      Purchase your materials.
      *Be sure you purchase enough wood.  It might also be a good idea to purchase more than you think you will need in case you mess up (The angles on the boards that compose the V can be a bit tricky to cut, and it’s possible that you might make a mistake or two while screwing the boards together.)  Also, when you purchase your wood, be sure to examine it to make sure that all your pieces are strait.

Process (after you gather materials):
4    4)      Cut the wood.  Going by the height that I used (5’), you will need about 17 feet of wood.  However, remember to purchase extra! 
    * I purchased 3, 2”x6”x8’ boards and ended up using nearly all of it because of a mistake and a last-mini change that I made to the design after I had already cut the boards.  So, I needed to cut another set for part of the V and part of the E.
    * If you chose to use a different height, make sure you adjust the lengths of each board accordingly.  You don’t want to end up with any misshapen letters.  As a general rule of thumb, take the height you wish you shelf to be in inches and multiply that number by each of the percentages (in decimal form) on the picture below.  This should give you a rough idea of how long you should cut each of the pieces.
    * When you go to cut the boards for the V, remember to cut them at angles.  I apologize that I don’t remember the angles that we used.  We just guessed and checked (This is one of the points where we ended up using some of the extra wood.).  Once you figure out one angle, the other four angles are the same.  I would advise cutting one board at a time so that if you mess up and the board ends up too short, you only need to re-cut one board and not two.
          ** Thanks to a helpful commenter, I now know the angle.  According to Christine 
               Godbout, the angle for the "V" is 22.5 degrees.  Thanks, Christine!  ** 
 
This is my father helping me to cut the angles in the wood that were needed for the V.    I do not remember the exact angles that we ended up using.  We used a guess-and-check method to determine the angles -- we would cut at a certain angle, lay the board down, determine if that was the angle that we desired, and, if it was not, cut at a different angle.  Once you have one angle figured out for how you want your self, the other three angles will need to be cut at the same angle so that all the edges lay flat.
5    5)      It would be a good idea to lay everything out, now, to make sure that it looks the way you want it.  If you accidentally cut a board too long or short, you will hopefully notice it at this point.
6    6)      Screw your boards together.
    * Keep in mind that if you attach the boards a certain way, it will be difficult to maneuver the drill to screw in certain parts.  I would suggest screwing the boards together in the order the joints are listed in the below picture. 

7    7)      Paint your shelf with primer.
    * Follow the instructions on the can.
the shelf after being painted with primer

8    8)      Paint your shelf with paint.
    * Follow the instructions on the can.
the shelf being painted


9    9)      Decorate and enjoy.
I know that this isn't decorated, or even against a wall, but, I will not be displaying it until I move into my apartment in three months.  So, for the time being, it will remain undecorated.

I only painted one coat of black on top of my white primer so that I could acquire  this effect.  Feel free to do whatever you want: splatter paint, a solid color, something like what I did.  Be creative!  And have fun!

63 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This is unbelievable, what a Dame great job. Brilliantly done.I admire you two. What a future you have

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much! The only thing I wish that I had done was make the base a bit wider to give it a little more stability. It's wobbly if I don't put it on a flat floor (my carpet bulges up a bit around the walls in some areas, and I can't put it at those spots.) But, other than that, I'm really please with who this turned out. It was my first attempt at a large wood project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The angle for the "V" is 22.5 degrees. I also routed all the edges with a 3/16 router bit and that creates shadow lines where the boards meet. Perhaps using a bigger board at the bottom will help with the teetering or else put 4 small adjustable feet that gets it off the carpet for better stability. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks for the info on the angle! When I wrote the tutorial, I was at school, and my shelf was at home, so thank you!
    Also, I think that both of those would work well for making it more stable! Since it goes against a wall, I think it would be best to have the bottom board or boards stick out further on the side that doesn't go against the wall and be flush with the boards on the side that does go against the wall! Live and learn!
    Thanks for the tips!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a 1 X 10 for the bottom then added a piece of 1/4" Luan on the back. It is really stable now and can hold more weight. It also allows you to vary the color combination and even use blackboard paint for the back so you can write on with chalk.

      Delete
  5. Wow, Great Project!, I will make it for my daughter. I can't wait for your next ideas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I am currently working on a tutorial for a cute throw pillow, and over break, I will be finishing a room divider. During the school year, I don't have too much time to craft. :-( And right after I did this project, I went to Spain to study for the summer. So, I didn't get to make anything else over the summer. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to make this when I saw it on pictures a while ago, I'm so excited you posted directions!! I was wondering if you thought it was hangable as opposed to sitting on the floor? Is it very heavy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I've seen other people do it, so I would say that you could. I might suggest splitting it up into two or three pieces and then hanging them all so that they look like they are connected. That way, it makes each of the pieces lighter. Another suggesting might be to use slightly thinner boards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is the length of the bottom of the "L"? We cut ours to the 30" in the above photo & it doesn't look right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We ended up cutting 4" off the base of the L. Looks better..

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughter asked me to build this. Your instructions and pictures were great. I agree that the "L" in the picture is not 30" as specified. I cut the base of my "L" to 24" to make it in sync with your photo. It definitely looks as though it lines up somewhere above the outside top of the "V". I would not cut it any less than 24" though. Thanks again for posting the details

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my goodness! I'm so sorry; I had tried to reply to the L post on my phone, and I guess it never posted! I apologize about that typo -- the length isn't 30". I'm not even sure why I put that on there! I remeasured mine and it was 24", but you should certainly cut it to what looks best to you. I'll edit the caption under the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to build mine to fit on top of a built in that only gives me 54", so since the length of the "L"is actually 24" wouldn't that change the percentage. What would the new percentage be?

      Delete
    2. Actually, it would! Thank you for noticing this! The new percentage is .4; I changed this in the post. Also, I apologize for taking so long to reply to you: I am currently traveling/interning, and I have not had as much time to check my craft blog! I hope

      Delete
  14. Is the v stable enough to hold the top letters, or did u have to attach it to the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, it holds the top letters. I did not need to attach anything to the wall. However, I do believe you could hang it if you wanted, just don't include the base. And, if you do that, I would split it into two or three sections so that there isn't so much weight on one part. If you do not want to hang it, I would put a wider base on for more stability. It is a bit wobbly (front to back; it is stable side to side). There were some comments earlier in the thread about that! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this!! Check out how mine turned out http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/1200x/7e/ff/27/7eff27f1e598de08f045fdc9aff532a6.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love! I'm following your blog on bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great! Thank you for sharing the directions and measurements. Now to convince my husband to make it for me. :) would love to see a photo of it 'in use' in your apartment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next time I go home, I'll be sure to snap a pic and post it. It ended up not working for my apartment this year (the carpet around the edges of my apartment is bulged up, so I need to put a wider base on it this summer before I am able to use it at school.)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  19. About how much weight do you think you can put on the L and in the O and the V will still hold up? Has anyone actually used their shelf practically? I'm toying with the idea of building one to use as a sort of bar, and I want to make sure it will be sturdy enough to store wine and liquor bottles, glasses, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is more for decoration than practical use; but, I certainly can put some stuff on the L and the O. The V is pretty stable. Just by the angles in the V, though, and the size of the spacing between the prongs of the E, I'm not sure how much it would hold in the ways of wine/alcohol bottles and glasses as they can be pretty tall. You could put some on the top of the E, in the O, and on the L. I think that it could probably hold the wright. When I go home in two weekends, I can check to make sure.

      Delete
    2. Here is a comment that I found above that might help you a bit, too. It was from Vince Mcmullen:
      "I used a 1 X 10 for the bottom then added a piece of 1/4" Luan on the back. It is really stable now and can hold more weight. It also allows you to vary the color combination and even use blackboard paint for the back so you can write on with chalk."

      Delete
  20. Can anyone tell me if the top of the V are also cut at an angle? It kind of looks that way, but I am not for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is an angle. However, we cut it before I made this tutorial and I never marked it down. However, a helpful commenter was nice enough to post it for me! Here is the post from Christine Godbout:
      "The angle for the "V" is 22.5 degrees. I also routed all the edges with a 3/16 router bit and that creates shadow lines where the boards meet... Hope this helps"

      Delete
  21. they are not that hard to make i made 3 of they about 9 mouth ago for my girls and

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't difficult at all! And they look very nice.

      Delete
  22. I saw this shelf on Pintrest a while ago and wanted to make it. ... bookshelveswallmounted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just wondering what the measurement is from the bottom left-hand corner of the "O" to the right-hand part of the "V" is. Will you post this measurement when you get a chance? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I apologize that it took so long to get back to you - the shelf is at home, and I was at school. The measurement is 5 inches, measured from the bottom, left corner of the "O" to the center of the little flat part of the "V" that is touching the "O."

      Delete
  24. Silly question but does the board on the very bottom support the whole shelf? Would the E be able to support it alone? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added the board on the very bottom to give it more stability. Without that board, the shelf tilted to the left. Another possibility would be to make the base of the E with a long board that extends to the left. Also, I would suggest making this base board a wider than the shelf (wider as in from the wall out, not from left to right) as my shelf has to be positioned on a completely flat surface. I was unable to take it to school because the carpet bulges up a bit around the edges of my room, and the shelf kept falling forward.

      Delete
    2. What length is the base? And did you use a wider board? I bought all 2x6

      Delete
    3. What length is the base? And did you use a wider board? I bought all 2x6

      Delete
    4. I would suggest using a wider board, if possible. That will give it more stability. I used a board that was about the same width as my shelf and it doesn't have a lot of forwards/backwards stability. I think an alternative option that would work well is to put two boards along the base, perpendicular to the bottom of the E, on either side of the bottom of the E (I would consider my base board to be parallel to the bottom of the E). Does that make sense? Also, with your base board, make sure the back of it is flesh with the back of the shelf so that it can be placed against a wall!

      Delete
    5. Yes! Thanks! So no specific length.. Just line it up with the E..and v it looks like. V sorry I'm kinda of a perfectionist.. Eek And thanks for the tip! I'm going to attempt this!

      Delete
    6. Yes! Thanks! So no specific length.. Just line it up with the E..and v it looks like. V sorry I'm kinda of a perfectionist.. Eek And thanks for the tip! I'm going to attempt this!

      Delete
  25. This is a great design, thanks for sharing it! I wish I had seen it sooner, I would love to make it for my boys for Valentine's Day. I could do it as a belated gift though =) Very creative. <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. Are there brackets in the bottom corner of the O? Are the necessary? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  27. What did you do to support the L and the O on the one side of the V? I have built the bookcase, but it seems the weight of those two letters is too much for the one side of the V without some kind of support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use anything other than the screws. The weight on mine held. I could suggest putting a backing on it of some kind, perhaps.

      Delete
  28. thank you , i live in chennai , tamil nadu , india , on the other side of the world ,i needed mmts for this stand urgently nd your blog helped greatly ,

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Did it for my wife for Valentines and it turned out great. I added the letter "U" to the base and I was able to fit a flower arrangement in between the letter U. She loved it. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. "_Boa noite amados(a)! Amei esse seu projeto, por favor me adicionem no seu blog como seguidor ou entrem no meu blog e me deixem um caminho para que eu encontre o de vocês ok meu blog é esse ó; gattomiaunacena2.blogspot.com"

    ReplyDelete
  33. What are the percentages ? Can't read them all in the picture thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Top of the L: .225
      Bottom of the L: .5
      Left and right sides of O: .225
      Bottom of O: .25
      Both sides of V: .2583
      Top of E: .3167
      Left side of E: .25
      Middle of E: .1042
      Bottom of E: .225
      Base: .5

      Delete
    2. Greatly appreciated..Thank you! :)

      Delete
  34. Hi! i wanted to ask you since im from argentina, the measures you use are in feet? because in my country we use centimetres and metres as regular measure. Please answer! haha thank youu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use feet an inches. If you see ' after a number, it means feet. " stands for inches.

      Delete